Press Release (band is not responsible for the poor english below :
was born around the end of 1994. Initially the band was a funny and interesting
side-project for its four members, until they realised that together they had
much more fun than in their respective main groups. After this "rebirth",
Tonge started growing - steadily but surely.
Rehearsal after rehearsal and recording after recording, their style became more
obvious. In the wild days of the beginning, the voice had to fight its way on
top of a delirium of the other musicians. Today, of this merry anarchy a taste
for sinuous melodies remains, that tempt the victim, seduce it ... and than skilfully
The four musicians, drums-bass-keyboards-guitar, play something that is not easy
to qualify : the music of Tonge is a rich mix of pop, ambient, lo-fi, noise, new-wave
Those who witness a concert by Tongue, immediately sense that these musicians
know where they want to go, and definitely also where they don't want to go.
The same musical traps that they evade themselves skilfully, are the same traps
they lay for their audience.
1994, Tongue has played with the following groups : Dolby La Souris, Ted, The
Cords, Janet Adkins, Rawfrücht, Moxie,
Mudflow, Bly, Electric Groove Temple, Tongz, Venus,
Daan, Vanilla Coke, 10000
Thanks to a remarkable participation at the festivals of Verdur Rock and Nandrin,
Tongue looks to the future with enthusiasm : more and more gigs. Release of the
- Compos minimalistes fraîches et particulièrement mélodique
parsemées d'un dissonance franchement psychédélique.
- Leurs mélodies électriques et linéaires possèdent ce flegme trépidant propre
à Can. (Devor Rock 2/97)
- Pop expérimentale au rythmes répétitifs. (LeSoir 16/4/97)
- Qualfiées de pop décalée, la musique de Tongue est basée sur 1 'improvisation
(La Dernière Heure, 29/4/97)
- Les quatre musiciens ont offert une musique novatrice, éloignée des sentiers
battus. (Vers l'Avenir, 29/4/97)
- A mi chemin entre la pop, l'ambient, la low-fi, le noise, la new-wave et
le Krautrock. (La Meuse 3/3/99)
- Plongeant avec un regain d 'assurance dans les méandres d'une pop répétitive
mais pas radoteuse, leurs boucles peuvent régulièrement compter sur de moelleux
tapis synthétiques pour s'écrouler en cas de tournis. (Rifraf 4/99)
- A ranger entre Sonic Youth et Joy Division. (Music Up, 7/99)
- Leur démarche musicale hésite entre la mouvance actuelle tournant autour
de Mogwai et une pop alerte ébouriffiiée. (Devor Rock 9/99)
Bass and drums from a decade the black generation was mourning the death of
a Mr. Curtis, the vocals from a slow-motion aquarium, guitars that stem from the
stolen Sonic-Youth truck, and keyboards from the flower-power age : those are
the ingredients with which Tongue cooks a soup.
The result causes an almost hypnotising effect by the repetitiveness in the songs,
but - despite the Doors-atmosphere - it didn't manage to convince me totally.
The blokes are currently recording their first full-cd at the Soundstation in
Liège, so you'll hear more from them without a doubt. Don't say we didn't