53,3 sec. - 105 Kb.
song : Ivan Heylen.
Year : 1973.
Record co.: Omega
One proof for this thesis is Ivan Heylen, of whom you can find the single "de
wilde boerndochtere" (the wild farmer's daughter) on the left. Sung in the
dialect of West-Vlaanderen (the province around Bruges and Ostende), this is the
account of the shy country boy trying to approach the beautiful next door farmer's
This single made it to the second place in the national hitparade, which at
the time was being dominated by the likes of Demis Roussos, Freddy Breck, the
Osmonds, Dawn etc. You can laugh, but at least these artists were not from Belgium
The single became a huge hit in the Netherlands, as had already been the case
for his song "De Werkmens" (The working man) a year before.
Anyway, with Ivan Heylen everything got straightened out later : he started
a career in journalism (for Panorama) and even as a talk-show host (VT4).
In 1998, there was a surprise incident when Heylen took on the plan to make
a film based on the story of his biggest hit "De wilde Boerendochter".
He decided to direct it himself, with ex-cycling champion Eddy Planckaert and
Flemish singer and former pin-up Wendy Van Wanten in the main roles. When the
video was almost ready (featuring the longest love-making scene in Flemish filmhistory),
disaccord grew between Heylen & his female actress, leading to a banning order
by the court to show or even talk about the film.
Buy CD's of this band at
- De werkmens (Omega, 1974) Singles :
- De werkmens / Gustaaf (Omega, 1973)
- De wilde boerndochtere / 'k had zo geirn mee a (Omega, 1974)
- Mijn pintje / Oh schone Frieda (Omega, 1974)
- Mijn wijveken - Nie slechtere of nie betere (11 Prov., 1975)
- 't Lied van de Zwarte Bende - Heeft er iemand mijn ziele gezien (Omega, 1975)
- Toon mij de weg / Een kind (Philips, 1981)
- Jef - Mijn moeder (WEA, 1982)
- J'aime bien ma Flandre / Rock'n Roll (Vogue, 1983)
- Ooit wordt het Kerstmis / Mijn engel (CNR, 1984)
- De wilde boerndochtere 120 BPM (???, 1989)
- De Wilde boerndochter (featuring Da Rick) - 1999
Watch it : This site pays royalties, and was built and maintained in
accordance with the terms and conditions negotiated with SABAM,
the Belgian society of copyright-holders. Consultation of this site is free, but
this exludes downloading, reproducing or public performance of any part of this
site. Please do not copy. Link!