Alle songs geschreven door Johan Verminnen, behalve
- "M'n broer en ik", (Bert Verm en Johan Verminnen)
- "In de rue des bouchers" (Johan Verminnen & Jan De Baets)
- "Op het bal" (Bert Verm, Raymond v/h Groenewoud)
The idea for this project was brought up by Jari Demeulemeester, the director
of the Ancienne Belgique - one of the main concert halls in Belgium, for his project
"Boterhammen in het park" (sandwiches in the park), a very successful
series of summer concerts in the main park of Brussels.
His motivation : "That young people don't have a collection of songs
in their own language close at hand, sounds unthinkable right now. Yet that's
how it was 25 years ago, and that's how Johan Verminnen has started his career,
his daily struggle for good Flemish songs, contemporary lyrics on joyous and universal
music. After 20 albums suddenly there were hundreds of songs and we at the AB
wondered if this repertoire would still sound fresh today. That's how this project
The musical direction of the project was done by Jan Hautekiet, the popular
radio-presenter of Studio Brussels and talented piano-player (see Riguelle
& Hautekiet). He found a number of colleagues prepared to perform live
and later show up in the studio to pay tribute to the "Godfather of Flemish
On the album, which was recorded in may 1995 in the Galaxy Studios in Mol,
the impressive line-up includes :
1. Guy Swinnen, who emerged on stage for the first time
since the split of his band the Scabs.
2. Paul Michiels (formerly of Soulsister,
now with a solo career)
3. Isabelle A (popular flemish singer)
4. Robert Mosuse (see the Radios) sings "Met zeven
5. Bram Vermeulen (Dutch singer, formerly in a duo with Freek de Jonge in Neerlands
Hoop, later on with a beautiful solo career) who performs the title song "Tussen
spelers en drinkers"
6. Frank van der Linden (De Mens)
7. Mark VostÚ ( of Belgian Asociality) who
surprised many with a cover of "Kom Jeanine"
8. Jan Leyers (of Leyers, Michiels & Soulsister)
who sang "Een of andere dag"
9. Sarah Bettens (of K's Choice) who dit a wonderful
adaptation of the song "M'n broer en ik" (My brother and I), a song
which has a highly emotional background for Johan Verminnen, since it was written
together with his brother Bert Verm(innen), who died in 1984.
10.Roland who performed Verminnens best known song "In
de Rue des bouchers"
11.Stijn Meuris (of Noordkaap) sang Tussen Brussel
12.Rick De Leeuw (singer of the Dutch Band Tr÷ckener Kecks) did a cover of
13.Koen Wauters (singer of Clouseau) did a good cover
of "Laat me nu toch niet alleen", Verminnens biggest hit.
The band that backed these singers consisted of :
- Lars Van Bambost (of Noordkaap) - Guitar
- Frank Vander linden (of De Mens)- guitar, vocals, xylophone
- Jan Hautekiet - piano, wurlitzer, hammond
- Vincent Pierins (Rvhg e.a.)- bass
- CÚsar Janssens (of The Kids)- drums
Johan Verminnen felt a bit embarrassed by the project in the beginning, but
later admitted that : "Jan Hautekiet has directed these wonderful colleagues
in a faultless and headstrong manner. Together they gave new power to the songs
that have made up my life and came (rock &) rolling from your radio's. It
gives me a lot of pleasure that time hasn't gotten hold on these songs and that
"een nieuwe fanfare van honger en dorst" with new gamblers and drinkers
successfully takes to the stage with them. What can I say, I am moved and thankful".
Watch it : This site pays royalties, and was built and maintained in
accordance with the terms and conditions negotiated with SABAM,
the Belgian society of copyright-holders. Consultation of this site is free, but
this exludes downloading, reproducing or public performance of any part of this
site. Please do not copy. Link!